Friday, December 19, 2014

Millennials, they're not so bad.


Millennials get a bad rap and some of it for good reason. They are, it seems, spoiled, entitled, and feel that the world owes them a big break. They have grown up in the world of reality TV, hip-hop, hedge funds, and overnight billionaires who have created an app that brings a car to you (what’s up with that?).

You can see that from a distance it is easy not to like them. I am afraid, though, that I am changing my tune. I recently moved into a new office—or workspace, as they call it. It is full of millennials who have started new businesses, some who are freelance designers, and others who do stuff with the World Wide Web. I hear them discussing their work with each other but still don’t understand how clicks on a Web page generate revenue, but according to them, the checks come in. Damn, I sound old.

Work for my generation involved a desk and a telephone. We sat at our desks, most likely in a cubicle, and we did our work. Eventually, they gave us a computer. We went to lunch, worked some more, and then we went home.

Millennials come to work with their MacBook Air, an iPhone, and a headset, and they are working. They can be in an office, a conference room, or a coffee shop, but they are working and producing. They Skype, Facetime, or use another technology to communicate face to face. My generation spends hours in meaningless meetings. It’s what we were taught. How unproductive.

I am in awe of this younger generation and am glad to be around it. They are smart and resourceful. They get stuff done. Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment